Monday 22 August 2011

Audience - thoughts

Audience by Ontroerend Goed.  This company is one of my favourites, they push boundaries and I have really enjoyed the shows I have attended so I was looking forward to seeing this show.  We had heard that it might be challenging, their shows always are, but I didn’t anticipate that I would find their methods questionable.  The audience are the focus of the show, a man trains a video camera on the audience and we see ourselves projected on to a big screen on the stage, its unsettling and unnerving. The Actors seat themselves with us in the seats, talk to us, talk about us and finally insult one member of the audience, this part of the show was very cruel. As the show continues we are taken on a disjointed rollercoaster of ideas, often slick in their execution and thought provoking but not ground breaking enough to justify their methods.  The idea of challenging the role of the audience is interesting, but I just can’t get past what they did to this young woman, it was a step too far and frankly not that enlightening.  What I will admit is that I have spent days mulling over my reaction to the show, the show is still with me, I am still thinking about the issues and probably will for a long time.  They are always provocative and I probably will go to another of their shows, oh god what does that make me!!!  See it just goes on and on ……. 
Some comments from other audience members:



No comments:

Post a Comment